[asterisk-dev] application argument delimeters

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Jul 24 20:14:57 CDT 2007

Clod Patry wrote:
> why not having an option in asterisk.conf, like:
> args_delimiter=,
> or
> args_delimiter=|
>
> So any user could choose which specific delimiter they want?
>
> So the parsing could check only for that specific delimiter instead
> checking for , and | ?
>
> That could be only for next branch, until a final decision is made
> regarding arguments delimiters.

The thread that you replied to has nothing to do with application delimiters.  :)

Anyway, I don't think making this configurable is really a good idea.

It certainly does seem better to settle on a syntax and not do any magic
character conversion internally for delimiters.  However, another part of me is
still uncomfortable with the change in regards to the vast number of existing
dialplans that will no longer work.  Furthermore, there is a vast amount of
example dialplan around the internet that will no longer be correct.

It has always been a value of this project to put forth a best effort to
maintain backwards compatibility.  In the cases where we decide not to maintain
compatibility, it has been done over a two release cycle.  The first one has
marked a given option or syntax as deprecated, with appropriate warning messages
any time they are used.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for simplifying configuration.  I just want to be
really sure that we don't fix one problem by creating a bigger one.  Also, I
want to put forth a best effort to ensure that the upgrade path is as simple as
possible.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer