[asterisk-dev] where is the config file format documented ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Tue Jul 24 11:47:54 CDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:09:57AM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I would probably suggest etc/asterisk/README.conf or something
> > evident in the config directory.
>
> I am not aware of any other applications that install documentation into
> config file directories (in /etc or anywhere else), so I don't think I
> would recommend that.

but they do put one or a few lines of text in the main configuration file
to help parsing the file from human beings, e.,g.

php.ini:

	; The syntax of the file is extremely simple.  Whitespace and Lines
	; beginning with a semicolon are silently ignored (as you probably guessed).
	; Section headers (e.g. [Foo]) are also silently ignored, even though
	; they might mean something in the future.
	;
	; Directives are specified using the following syntax:
	; directive = value
	; Directive names are *case sensitive* - foo=bar is different from FOO=bar.
	;
	; The value can be a string, a number, a PHP constant (e.g. E_ALL or M_PI), one
	; of the INI constants (On, Off, True, False, Yes, No and None) or an expression
	; (e.g. E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE), or a quoted string ("foo").

http.conf:
	# This is the main Apache HTTP server configuration file.  It contains the
	# configuration directives that give the server its instructions.
	# See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2> for detailed information.
	# In particular, see
	# <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/directives.html>
	# for a discussion of each configuration directive.

smb.conf
	# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
	# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
	# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
	# many!) most of which are not shown in this example

and so on. There are also bad examples but i won't cite them :)

Anyways, all i was asking for is to put at least a one-line in asterisk.conf
to point to the documentation.

	cheers
	luigi