[asterisk-dev] Installation and Compilation

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Thu Jan 11 17:38:24 MST 2007

On 1/11/07, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To create the symbolic link, I read in the documenation that I have to type this command:
>
> # ln -s /usr/src/'uname -r' /usr/src/linux-2.4
>
> 1) What it means by 'uname -r'?

You've got it slightly wrong... it's `uname -r` (with back-ticks, not
single quotes).  The backticks cause the system to run "uname -r" and
place the output there.  The "uname -r" command returns the version
number of the currently running kernel.

> 2) Why I have to create such symbolic link to do pointing for the kernel? For what exctly will be used with asterisk?

Asterisk doesn't need it, but the Zaptel kernel drivers need to know
where the kernel sources are, at least for the Linux 2.4 kernel.

-Jared