[asterisk-dev] Possible to build zaptel-SVN for same arch, different machine?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jan 11 08:02:13 MST 2007

Brian Capouch wrote:
> What I was trying to do (long story) is maintain a build system on a
> very new Linux install, and "fool" it during compilation into using the
> kernel sources for my target machines (which are running older kernels
> and older versions of the distro).

That should not be an issue; as Tzafrir already posted, you can set KSRC
explicitly to make the kernel module build use any kernel sources you
wish to. You may also have to set ARCH to your target architecture.

> But it failed when it started munging in
> /usr/lib/modules/<newer-version>, against includes, etc., seen in the
> older kernel tree.

This must be a typo; nothing in Zaptel looks in that directory. Can you
post exact error/warning output instead of a summary?

> I'll figure out a workaround, and maybe my memory is faulty, but I would
> swear that in an earlier phase of my experiences building Asterisk I did
> exactly what I'm trying to do now, with success.

Are you building Asterisk or Zaptel? There are significant differences
between them when it comes to cross-compiling.