[asterisk-dev] Academic Asterisk Adventure

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Jan 5 02:10:32 MST 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 02:06, Shawn Van Every wrote:

> Hi Folks,

Thanks for telling us about your work.... Fascinating ....

> The problem is that Asterisk was running as the “asterisk” user and
> Apache was running as a different user. PHP safe mode was relaxed
> to allow the group to execute the files but this still threw many
> of us for a loop several times.
>
> I don’t want to whine about this too much as it is what was
> available and we just had to deal with it. One thing that might
> help would be to enable suexec within Asterisk so that AGI scripts
> could run as the owner of the script. This, I believe is how Apache
> can be setup to handle things and would go a long way towards
> alleviating many of the issues we had with both security and
> usability.

You can get pretty close to that by using FAGI and allocating each
student a new port number. The FAGI process
can run as the student. We've been doing this (using asterisk-java)
to let us have separate development environments
for developers on the same asterisk. (The FAGI doesn't even have to
run on the asterisk box....)

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/