[asterisk-dev] I'm working on Linksys SIP extensions (SPA9000 product) / big-picture question

James S. Blachly j.blachly at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 08:44:48 MST 2007

Hello all,

In my very limited free time, I am working on adding the features of
the Linksys SPA9000 Key System (Call Parking with list of parked
calls, Company directory, group pickup, a few others).

Unfortunately, I am adding them to the asterisk source tree in a very
non-modular, non-extensible way.

Because of my day job as a medical student (and I am about to
graduate and get even busier), I am not as familiar with the asterisk
source as I would like.  Would those with a big-picture view of the
project suggest how I can put these features into the source tree in
a less monolithic way?

I hate to have lots of special cases inside of otherwise generic
functions, but perhaps this is what's best?  I don't know, you tell me.

As an example, when the phone wishes to request a list of parked
calls, it sends a SIP INFO message which I am currently handling
inside handle_request_info() in chan_sip.c  OTOH there already seem
to be several vendor-specific functionalities inside things like
handle_request_info() so...

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may give me.

James