[asterisk-dev] display name used by SIP channel when callerid presentation is not allowed

Olle E Johansson olle at voop.com
Thu Feb 15 14:06:30 MST 2007

15 feb 2007 kl. 20.28 skrev Michael Neuhauser:

> When callerid presentation is not allowed for an outgoing call, the
> SIP
> channel driver uses "Unknown" as the display name (checked 1.2 and 1.4
> in svn). But RFC3261 states:
>         A system SHOULD use the display name "Anonymous" if the
> identity
>         of the client is to remain hidden.
>
> I've tested it with a SIP2PSTN provider (that does not support rpid)
> like this:
>         SetCallerPres(prohib_passed_screen);
>         Dial(SIP/provider/${number});
>
> The callerid on the call into the PSTN is only suppressed by the
> provider if the definition of CALLERID_UNKNOWN in chan_sip.c is
> changed
> to "Anonymous".
>
> Is this only a quirk of this particular provider or should the
> definition of CALLERID_UNKNOWN be changed to "Anonymous"?

Basing anything on the display name is certainly unusual.

RFC3261 has been added to many times in regards to privacy,
but regardless - basing something on display name is nothing
I would recommend anyone to do.

Change callerid name with the dialplan function before you call dial
and problem will be solved without changing the source code.

/O

---
Olle E. Johansson * Asterisk Evangelist, developer * VOOP A/S -the
Internet Dialtone
olle at voop.com