[asterisk-dev] Re: Kernel modules => mainline kernel

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Feb 12 11:27:30 MST 2007

MF> I think part of it is that we want to keep any changes we make
MF> fairly accessible. What happens if we start rewriting some of the
MF> APIs in zaptel and distributions start compiling it into the
MF> kernel? That means that every user that wants to upgrade needs to
MF> recompile their kernel.

Zaptel needs a stable API in order to go into the mainline kernel. It
is about time it got one anyway.

An unstable API keeps you locked into Asterisk. A bugfix to Zaptel
could be released which includes changes to the API, and users of
competing software PBX'es would have to wait for those PBX'es to
update to the new API. I presume that is why basically none of the
Asterisk-competitors support Zaptel cards.

MF> This also makes users of zaptel more aware of changes, bug fixes
MF> and updates that we make, that may not be deemed "worthy" by
MF> distribution X to be reason to update the -kernel.[rpm,deb]. I
MF> think that if you have to install it yourself, you are more likely
MF> to be in the line of communication to find out about updates as
MF> well.

That is of course a concern. However, I assume that most distributions
are pretty good at including bugfixes. Otherwise it is easy to find
distributions with better policies.

/Benny