[asterisk-dev] Re: Kernel modules => mainline kernel

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Feb 12 10:10:11 MST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 3:14 AM, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> PC> How much zaptel hardware available at the market? How many people
> PC> uses such hardware? IMHO not more than 10% of all Linux
> PC> installations around the world.
>
> There are drivers in the mainline kernel for hardware which only
> exists as a few prototype boards.

I think part of it is that we want to keep any changes we make fairly
accessible.  What happens if we start rewriting some of the APIs in
zaptel and distributions start compiling it into the kernel?  That
means that every user that wants to upgrade needs to recompile their
kernel.  This also makes users of zaptel more aware of changes, bug
fixes and updates that we make, that may not be deemed "worthy" by
distribution X to be reason to update the -kernel.[rpm,deb].  I think
that if you have to install it yourself, you are more likely to be in
the line of communication to find out about updates as well.

Matthew Fredrickson