FW: [asterisk-dev] SMDI support on trixbox

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Sun Feb 4 08:46:37 MST 2007

Jason,

Sheesh.  You posted half the content in byte count, top quoted the entire
text, copied the ENTIRE list and added no value.  The least you could have
done is answered the question and then it would be in the archives.  Who's
wasting bandwidth in this scenario?  Looks like four strikes to one.

Since it was listed with a (albeit old) bounty on voip-info.org, I THOUGHT
it might be dev related, since, you know, the dev people are the ones who
presumably WRITE the theoretical SMDI code.  And I'm willing to bet most
casual user level people of * think threads are the things you sometimes
have to cut out of cat5 cable when you splice ends on it.  Again, my bad for
wanting to communicate with the people who might actually write the code for
an opinion (of which I received about 8 who have real experience with
multicores and how * behaves, including a disertation on how transcoding is
handled for zap and non-zap channels).  In my professional experience, a lot
of people try to do SMP coding, but very few do it well.  And that isn't
just the OSS guys.  MS took a long time to sort of get it right for large
CPU counts and is still perfecting it.  Before I drop $3K for a box, I
thought maybe it prudent to see if someone else had some experience and some
sizing guidelines.

Most questions that go beyond "How do I register my SIP phone?" go
unanswered on -users. For example, why do I have to force a change in codecs
on an IAX trunk with three switch hops end to end so * will stay in the
loop, instead of trying to transfer (since it's not a fully meshed IPv4
routing scenario for the switches), in spite of notransfer=yes on incoming
and outgoing definitions of all ends of the IAX trunks?

So, I'll go back to lurk mode and keep any value I can add to myself.  I
also now know the kind of support I can receive from Digium.

Might you enlighten those of us who aren't in the know as to what the
charter of -dev IS since it isn't on the web site nor in the post sent to
theoretically "welcome" us to the community?  For bonus points, you can
simply answer the following question privately as Yes or No:  Is SMDI in the
1.2.x train of code?  If you feel inclined to share with Google, et.al. you
could even trim the post and answer it to the list ...

To the rest that have kindly answered questions instead of complaining, many
thanks.

EKG