[asterisk-dev] [Re] chan_skinny development

Damien voip at facts.com.au
Sat Feb 3 21:07:01 MST 2007

I am sending this to both chan-sccp-b and asterisk-dev lists in response
to post on chan-sccp-b (sf.net). Apologies for this, but it is a rather
fragmented development community.

There are some serious issues impacting on skinny/sccp development.
Personally I am for development of chan_skinny, purely because it is
part of the asterisk code base and so we will generally not have the
issues like the problems with chan_sccp and asterisk 1.4.

However, that said, if the asterisk maintainers do wish to restrict
functionality to allow for the most commonality between device types,
then I am of the opinion that it needs to be built outside of the
asterisk code base and we deal with the problems as they arise.

Regarding shared lines, there is a significant difference between SLA
and shared lines in skinny. SLA, as I understand it is simply sending a
message to another device (through asterisk) that a line is in use.
Shared lines ala skinny/sccp is a real shared line. One must remember
that the likes of sip/iax are really trunking protocols with some
additional stuff over the top. Skinny is a real pabx protocol. Basically
the difference is that chan_skinny/sccp knows every button press,
action, item displayed on the skinny phones etc, whereas other chans
know only limited information on what their devices are doing and it is
up to the device to give that information to the driver (asterisk).

I am not trying to bag the other protocols, I would just like to be able
to develop chan_skinny to its own maximum potential rather than limiting
its functionality to a lowest common denominator.

Is someone interested in setting up a skinny development branch and
looking after the general housekeeping while we work on shared lines and
other functionality. Would digium be willing to set up a skinny-dev list
temporarily or is the community happy if we make a skinny-dev mailing
list offsite for a while? Or do the developers want a whole bunch of
skinny debugs in their mailboxes everyday ;)

I suppose first things first, how many people are actually interested in
developing chan_skinny or chan_sccp?

Damien