[asterisk-dev] OPAL and Asterisk

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Thu Feb 1 15:20:16 MST 2007

John,
 there is a big change in the way OPAL works, as compared to OpenH323.

To link asterisk to OPAL (as opposed to Openh323) would be a nice thing to
have. You could make sip or h323 calls via the OPAL library. Thus,
asterisk users would have the choice of sip stacks to use.

There have been several endeavours to get openh323 to link with asterisk.
Some have been more successful than others. Currently, the effort seems to
be to not use the openh323 library, and use thee objective h323 approach.
This solves some license issues.

The API has changed, and a bit of C++ code would be required - all of it
threadsafe. The OPAL library is designed to be highly threaded.

I think the trouble that the various openh323-asterisk integrations had
was understanding and existing with the threading model of both projects.
Others will give longer explanations, and alude to the defective
programming in either codebase. These long explanations have come and
gone, but are essentially developer speak for
        "I did not know enough to fix the problem"

The api docs for opal and openh323 are found at
 http://www.voxgratia.org/documents.html

My preference is to use a woomera style approach. More can be found at
 http://www.voxgratia.org/docs/woomera_desc.html
The woomera approach solves license issues completely, and allows you to
use g729 codec with a free version of asterisk.

Derek.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.
IndraNet Technologies Ltd.