[asterisk-dev] [svn-commits] qwell: branch 1.4 r92696 - in /branches/1.4: channels/ main/

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Thu Dec 13 10:30:48 CST 2007

Johansson Olle E wrote:
> 13 dec 2007 kl. 01.11 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:
>
>> Author: qwell
>> Date: Wed Dec 12 18:11:09 2007
>> New Revision: 92696

>> Log:
>> If a typo is found in a config file, we previous continued on with
>> what was already loaded.
>> We do not want to do this (see bug below for details).
>>
>> This makes it so that if a [ is found without a ], the entire config
>> will fail, and nothing in it will be loaded.
>
> While I understand the thinking and agree with the change for future
> versions, I think this is
> a pretty dramatical change to release code. Systems that is up and
> running today will suddenly
> fail because they had a typo somewhere in the config which really did
> not affect their operations.
>
> At least, you have to add a pretty heavy warning to the readme files.
>
> Also, I'm a bit curious about the change to chan_sip, where you add
> destruction to the
> load_module event too, which will look confusing at start of Asterisk.
> reload_config() is used when we initialize the SIP channel, not only
> at re-load.
>
> /O

Systems that had the type of issue that this would have affected could have
had themselves opened up to a security nightmare, and would already be failing
(in truly wonderful ways).  Imagine the following configuration:

[foo]
bar=baz
[
secret=blah

The way it was previously, the secret would have been (silently!) ignored, and
any further contexts dropped.

This makes it so that the entire config will fail, rather than (re)loading
half of it.

As far as the chan_sip change - that change was pulled from trunk, so if it's
wrong in 1.4, it would be wrong in trunk as well.

--
Jason Parker
Digium