[asterisk-dev] Unified Asterisk Interface

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Tue Dec 11 13:16:27 CST 2007

David Roden wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was wondering whether there are any plans to develop some kind of "unified
> API" to access Asterisk features.
>
> What I mean is: right now when creating an application that's used as
> a "remote control" for Asterisk you have to use two different APIs to
> interact with Asterisk. On the hand you need to use the AGI interface
> to--among other things--handle incoming calls, read DTMF tones, play samples,
> create conferences. On the other hand you have to use the Manager interface
> to be notified about events like a ringing channel or a user stopping to talk
> in a MeetMe conference room. Due to synchronization issues this is not only
> hard to develop but also quite error-prone.
>
> I would really love to handle everything with only a single API that allows me
> complete access to all functions and events that Asterisk has to offer. Are
> there any plans to develop something like that?
>

> Thanks,
>
> 	David

What I would like to see is a more structured output from AMI listing output.
Maybe a flag that would certain "list" type AMI responses out in a more
structured fashion.  Reading output designed for screen display is unnecessarily
more complex and causes applications written against it to be more fragile and
subject to breakage.

--
Warm Regards,

Lee

"If I don't see you around here, I'll see you around, hear?"