[asterisk-dev] Continue Asterisk 1.2 support

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Aug 30 15:46:39 CDT 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Very good thinking.  Just because Digium has declared 1.2.x EOL does not
> mean that the community cannot keep it alive as far as bug fixes.

I would like to point out that it was not simply Digium that made this
declaration.  It was the development community at large.  We had about 50 people
 at the developer conference in May.  When I brought up this subject, there was
not a single person who spoke up with objection to moving 1.2 into security only
maintenance.  There were many that just wanted to ensure that users were given
notice, which is why we decided on the August 1st date for the switch.

> It might get tricky with security updates that conflict with user base
> generated bug fixes.  Also, I guess those bug fixes would not go under
> Digium's licensing since they are no longer supporting it.

Most security fixes are pretty trivial.  If a security fix required
architectural changes, I would not mind explaining how they work on this list
for anyone that has questions.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer