[asterisk-dev] Application timeouts, Periodic and Scheduled Announcements

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Thu Aug 30 02:50:54 CDT 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:29:48 -0700, Dan Austin wrote
> Russell Wrote:
> > Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> >> I'll throw a wrench into the works: all this stuff was part of my
> >> original goal for the generic bridging API that Josh Colp has been
> >> working on; there is no reason for it to live in the application
> >> space at all, it can live in the bridge itself, and be configured
> >> on a bridge-wide or per-channel basis.
>
> > Well, the way I was thinking about this, it couldn't live on the
> > bridge, because most applications don't involve a bridge.  For
> > example, if you want to do any of these things while a channel is
> > in VoiceMailMain, making it a bridge feature won't work.
>
> Speaking of wrenches and this generic approach to handle
> Announcements/timeouts in applications, how might this
> effect patches that implement similar functionality in
> specific apps?
>
> I have a patch on Mantis that extends the RealTime features
> in app_meetme to include scheduled start and end time
> enforcement, as well as announcements before the conference
> is scheduled to end.
>
> I made the new features default to off, with only a small
> increase to the conference structure that is not configurable.
>
> A generic approach using the dialplan would work, but might
> prove harder to implement some of the features possible with
> the application specific approach.

For MeetMe (and other apps) i am using a local channel to dial an extenesion
with those apps, which is a simple dialplan approach while still using the
specific one of Dial. Combined with the pacth at
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6335 (which will be affected from this
change) it is possible also to change/stop timeout/announsments or to schedule
execution of other apps. If this new API also allows execution of other apps
(which may not be at the same time when an announcment should be made) then it
will cover the needs of that patch.