[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-commits] file: trunk r81345 - /trunk/main/event.c

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Wed Aug 29 13:57:36 CDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 01:34:41PM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > As far as i remember pointer arithmetic on "void *" is a gnu
> > extension not guaranteed to work on all compilers.
> > You should use char * to be standard compliant (even better,
> > something like a NEXT_IE(x) macro that takes care of the
> > conversion throughout the file.
>
> I changed the pointer arithmetic on "void *" to use "char *" instead - trunk rev
> 81354.
>
> > On passing i also wonder about the following:
> >
> > - ast_event and ast_event_ie have exactly the same
> >   structure, so is there a reason to use two definitions ?
>
> The only reason I have for them being different is for clarity.  An event is an
> ast_event that could have 0 or more information elements (ast_event_ie).  They
> just ended up having the exact same structure.

hmmm... sorry for raising more questions, but does it mean that
also ast_event_ie has the same restrictions as ast-event (cannot
be changed as it has to match the wire format) ?

in any case, if there is such a restriction (surely for struct ast_event,
possibly for struct ast_event_ie) then the definition should not
be here but in a common place so we make sure that chan_iax and
event.c use the same layout.

cheers
luigi