[asterisk-dev] Continue Asterisk 1.2 support

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Tue Aug 28 11:52:23 CDT 2007

Russell Bryant wrote:
> Santiago Gomez wrote:
>> If the first option is not possible and there is interest in the second one, what we offer is the hardware and bandwidth needed to support a new mantis. We also have 10 developers actively working and contributing patches to 1.2 that will continue to do so till 1.4 reaches a more mature stage. We will continue testing 1.4 in our QC environment and report the found bugs, but we focus on our customers and we can't leave 1.2 development for now.
>
> What issues do you have open on bugs.digium.com that are prohibiting you from
> deploying the latest version of Asterisk 1.4 to your customers?

Yes, although it might be tough right now, we very much would like to
get 1.4 in a state that is usable by a majority of the installed
Asterisk base.

As developers, we are very much dealing with a chicken and egg type
problem here.  First of all, how do we manage resources so that we can
adequately support 1.4 (the future)?  Another problem is, how does 1.4
get adequate usage so that it becomes as usable as 1.2 (which has been
around for quite a long time)?  The choice was to devote the development
resources to making sure 1.4 is working.

We would very much appreciate it if we could get bug reports on the
problems that you have seen with 1.4 so we can resolve them and make it
usable for a greater number of users.  If you have 10 developers that
you can devote to that, that would probably speed up the problem fixing
process tremendously.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Software/Firmware Engineer