[asterisk-dev] AMR-NB

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Aug 16 08:03:33 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 15 August 2007, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 16:45 +0100, Chris Dobbs wrote:
> > My original Q should maby have been along the lines ok instructions to
> > install a new codec under asterisk and what things require modifying to
> > allow this to happen.
>
> And the resulting answer would have possibly been, there are a lot of
> examples already in asterisk to look at. If those examples are not
> enough to help you out, we would like to look at your code to see what
> you have done wrong or what was incomplete.
>
> Of course then your reply would be to remind us of your NDA you
> mentioned earlier. This would leave us at the same impass we came to
> earlier.

The other part of this is that unless you have obtained your copy of Asterisk
under another license from Digium, your license of Asterisk is under the GPL,
so any codecs you distribute must be distributed with the source code to your
modifications (i.e. the source code to your codec), with no restrictions above
and beyond those specified in the GPL on the distribution thereof.  This means
that if you distribute your codec outside of your organization, the NDA is
either unenforceable, as it conflicts with the license under which Asterisk
was provided to you, or the NDA invalidates your license to use Asterisk.

--
Tilghman