[asterisk-dev] Logging/debug features: 3 ideas for discussion

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 03:34:57 CDT 2007

On 14/08/07, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> The thread ID is printed on the debug line, and that can be grepped for,
> once you identify which channel is associated with which thread ID.  Channel
> names are a bit less useful, since the same ID may refer to hundreds of
> different calls (though not concurrently).  This is because the unique
> identifier added to the end of a channel name is currently the address in
> memory where the channel structure lives, and the chunk of memory for a
> channel tends to get reused quite often for other channels.  Thread IDs, OTOH,
> are not recycled very often.

Tilghman:

On my boxes (using NPTL) I see the same number on all lines of my log.
I know it used to show a number that changed depending on which thread
was running, but nowadays for me it doesn't.  And I reckon it changed
when I went to NPTL.

Even in the old days it wasn't ideal because multiple threads are
involved in handling a single call.

Steve