[asterisk-dev] Better pattern matching

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Thu Aug 2 14:48:36 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 19:01 +0200, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> VK> Or putting it shorter - there's no considerable gain from this
> VK> (even will break formatting and make it a bit harder to read), and
> VK> will create nice possibilities for abuse and problems...
>
> There is a gain. I have debugged dial plans where the pattern was
> typed wrong on one line. Especially when copy-pasting or when changing
> patterns, it would make life much easier if you only had to correct it
> once.
>
> Personally I'd prefer a syntax like AEL, but there is no way I'll
> touch anything which compiles to something as complicated as the
> current extensions.conf syntax. One day we can hopefully have
> something like AEL as the native format.
>

> /Benny

Benny--

As far as AEL goes-- I don't understand the problem. What you said, in a
different context: ...there is no way I'll touch C, which compiles to
something
as complicated as the current .asm !

I don't see how AEL's output is any worse than hand-written
extensions.conf
files. Someday, we might generate stuff with labels only, but never saw
it as a requirement to do so; We aren't expecting folks to hand-edit the
output of AEL.
Doesn't make sense. Edit the source AEL file, and regenerate the file.
It only takes a second.

Tell me what's keeping you from adopting AEL, maybe we can make it
easier for you.

murf

--
Steve Murphy