[asterisk-dev] zaptel, menuselect and autoconf

Bob Atkins bob at digilink.net
Wed Aug 1 12:20:34 CDT 2007

Russell,

I do appreciate what menuselect is trying to do but it is completely
unnecessary with a proper autoconf build process. It makes the asterisk
build process highly unique and requires reliance on yet another piece
of software that must be understood and must compile properly
/_*before*_/ asterisk can be built. It is one more piece of software
that must be portable across operating systems.

In addition to having the unique aspects of menuselect as part of the
asterisk build process, autoconf is also used but many of the tests and
subordinate configure/makes are not implemented properly in that
necessary compile flags and loader flags along with configure options or
not flowed down to subordinate configure/make operations which makes the
build process highly non-portable between different OS and for those of
us that need to build to custom libraries, without -g, with
optimization, including certain runtime shared object paths, etc, etc.

I understand that one or more people put time and effort into menuselect
with the intention of making the build process for asterisk better but
sadly, menuselect simply re-invents the wheel (autoconf) with a uniquely
different approach that anyone building asterisk must learn and
understand. Autoconf has become so widely accepted as the build process
for virtually all open source software that menuselect really throws a
serious wrench into the works for those of us that have to maintain and
deploy a variety of open source packages.

Yes, there are /_*plenty*_/ of build bugs in the v1.4 build process, I
have only reported a few and I finally got frustrated by the much larger
number that I was faced with after fixing the v1.2 makefiles. Make no
mistake - I'm not saying that the v1.2 makefiles were satisfactory
either. They don't provide any real ability to customize the build. We
do patch the v1.2 makefiles as well to build it. Asterisk really needs a
solid autoconf build process to provide the necessary options for
building on different platforms and directory structures. The question
is whether to spend the time trying to fix the bugs in the v1.4 build
process leaving menuselect in place which would just be lots of band
aids /_or_/ spend the time fixing the bugs and making asterisk v1.4
completely autoconf compliant. You simply can't have menuselect
/_*and*_/ an autoconf build process - they conflict with each other. The
later approach would risk rejection and controversy and the former is
just a waste of time IMHO and I suspect many others feel the same way.
The result is stagnation as nobody is making an real effort to fix the
build problems and contribute those fixes back. We have hammered the
v1.4 build process into a condition that works strictly for us and I
suspect others have done similar but due to the ugly and very OS
specific nature of most of our changes they would not be of any value to
the community so we have not contributed them back.