[asterisk-dev] Custom SIP headers and reinvites

Bala Neelakantan neel at quintum.com
Thu Apr 19 10:58:42 MST 2007

Thanks,
Neel

I am answering from RFC point of view and not from current asterisk
implementation.

Looking at the RFC 3261:

12.2.1.1 Generating the Request

   A request within a dialog is constructed by using many of the
   components of the state stored as part of the dialog.

And the RFC lists all the mandatory headers.    Another reference in Section
8.1.1 provides those headers, and lastly talks about other headers.

8.1.1.10 Additional Message Components

   After a new request has been created, and the header fields described
   above have been properly constructed, any additional optional header
   fields are added, as are any header fields specific to the method.

So, in this case, my interpretation is that if the optional headers are to
be populated if needed, and it depends upon the semantics of the headers.

One place where you might want to remove headers is, if the Re-INVITE might
want to take out certain SIP features/capability.

Original INVITE negotiated with Session Timers.

After a while, the endpoints want to stop session refresh.  In this case,
the Session-Expires header, can be changed.  Also Supported: header might
change, if originally listed in INVITE.