[asterisk-dev] Custom SIP headers and reinvites

Watkins, Bradley Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com
Tue Apr 17 20:26:47 MST 2007

________________________________

From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com on behalf of Kevin P. Fleming
Sent: Tue 4/17/2007 10:14 PM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Custom SIP headers and reinvites

Watkins, Bradley wrote:

>> I guess what I'm looking for is some guidance on what the correct
>> behavior is here.  Obviously, these headers should be available one way
>> or the other.  The question is whether the reinvite should have the
>> custom headers or whether they need to have some more persistant storage
>> at the receiving end.  I'm inclined to say the latter, as it's possible
>> that you could have this same issue with other B2BUA's in a similar
>> scenario.

> I would agree in principle that this is the receiving end's
> responsibility to handle. The first issue will be clearly defining which
> headers should be preserved throughout the life of the dialog even when
> subsequent INVITEs have been received. This could be just 'all headers
> that begin with X-' or it could be more complex than that, but the more
> complex it is the less likely it will get treated as a 'bug fix' or a
> simple enhancement :-)

For certain, anything that would go into an already-released version should be as simple as possible.  Personally I think that having all X-headers preserved would be a good balance, and it would definitely solve my problem since that's exactly what I need. :)

Perhaps Olle can chime in, but I couldn't really find any RFC-level guidance for SIP in my cursory glance at some relevant ones.

- Brad