[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Appliance?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Sep 14 07:10:25 MST 2006

Khelik Mikhail wrote:
>> We do not design 'GPL' hardware, nor did we use any of David Rowe's
>> work in designing our hardware. The appliance uses our existing 1- and
>> 4-port analog modules, has an onboard Ethernet VLAN switch, onboard
>> hardware echo cancellation, and will actually be a shipping, tested,
>> EMI certified product :-)
>
> I guess actually these projects conceptually and architecturally
> similar. The main differences are in brand, price and approach :).
>
>> If others want to produce a comparable piece of hardware (although I
>> fail to see how the GPL applies to a piece of hardware) and make its
>> design available for free they are certainly welcome to do so.
>
> In this case it would be great if Digium officially open the
> architecture of this platform, it's not necessary to open the hardware
> itself.

If you read between the lines, it is an open architecture. It happens to
be the "business edition" and happens to use a processor different from
the standard PC. Presumably access to the box is limited (via
passwords), however a cross compiler is shipped with the dev kit to
allow you to write applications for it.

If you had to support such a box (in very large numbers), you'd want
something that is supportable and stable, and that's what I read into
the documentation.