[asterisk-dev] Re: [asterisk-users] Digum g729 and g723

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Sep 5 09:18:39 MST 2006

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 10:49, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> It looks interesting, but I would ask a few questions:
>
> a) is this the code that Digium sells (highly optimized) or is it
> just the ITU sample code (not so well optimized)

It is not the code that Digium sells and did not originate from within
Digium at all.

> b) is there any restriction on the copying of this code or is it GPL?

Given that there are patent encumbrances on this code, that fact
invalidates the GPL license on the files (by the GPL itself; see clause
7) until the patents expire (sometime in 2014).  Given that the stated
license is invalidated by the terms of the license, you have no right
to use this code (unless the author granted you permission under a
different license).

> c) who is distributing this code, and are they doing so with the
> author's permission?

Unknown, and the only name in the files is not the author.  Given that
it's nearly impossible at this point to verify the anonymous author's
identity, you again have no right to use this code.

More specifically, a copyright is granted automatically to the author
by virtue of creating the body of code.  In the absence of a valid
license, the only entity which is allowed to use the code is the author
him/her/itself.

> d) before you rush off to compile this code and install it on your
> gateways, is anyone certain that it hasn't been tampered with/booby
> trapped?  My G.729 patches are relatively brief patches to Intel's
> code, so it is easy to inspect my code for security.  The link given
> here contains an archive with 40,000 lines of code - not so easy to
> check for a backdoor.

AFAIK, there has been no such examination of the code.  So in addition
to patent infringement, your use of the code could lead to your machine
being compromised.

--
Tilghman