[asterisk-dev] UDP packets are transmiting in small package or big package?

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Tue Sep 5 01:05:33 MST 2006

On 09/05/06 15:05 Ma Zhiyong said the following:
> Sometimes we need improve bandwidth usage, such as I want to use 2M
> bandwidth to do 150 concurrent SIP calls. I use 8k speex codec. You
> know, 150*8k equal 1.2M. It seems 2M is enough.
>
> But no. In my experience, 90 concurrent calls is overflowed.

you're neglecting to add the IP and RTP header overheads to your
calculations. this is about 20kbps per RTP stream/direction, so 150 calls
would add about 3Mbps on top of your 1.2Mbps. at 90 calls, you're running
2.52Mbps in total.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/