[asterisk-dev] UDP packets are transmiting in small package or big package?

Ma Zhiyong zhiyong.m at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:05:11 MST 2006

Sometimes we need improve bandwidth usage, such as I want to use 2M
bandwidth to do 150 concurrent SIP calls. I use 8k speex codec. You
know, 150*8k equal 1.2M. It seems 2M is enough.

But no. In my experience, 90 concurrent calls is overflowed.

Of course, before UDP packages are transmiting, the encoded audio is
arranged into RTP packet, with RTP header, then add UDP header. So,
RTP header and UDP header occupy bandwidth either.

I know in some gateway, more encoded audio packets is included to one
RTP packet, to reduce the bandwidth usage of RTP headers and UDP
headers.
That is , more bigger UDP packets are transmiting on the internet.

Can asterisk do this? Or any development plan?

Regards.