[asterisk-dev] why 'o' (preserve original callerid) is not default in app_dial.c ?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Oct 31 20:37:45 MST 2006

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> For first, i do not understand the reason for setting
> the callerid in the ast_channel to the one of the _called_ extension;
> the information is already in cid_rdnis.
> On the other hand, if 'o' is not the default, there must be a
> good reason, and this must be the most useful case ?

Previously, the CallerID information from the calling channel was copied to the
called channel.  This is no longer the default behavior, but is available
through the use of the 'o' option.

Now, the default CallerID number for the called channel is that of the extension
that was called.  This may not be the best thing, but it is certainly more
correct than the CallerID of the calling channel.  RDNIS will not always be set,
so we can't rely on that.  However, it may be an even better choice than the
called extension when it is available.

That was at least the reasoning when these changes occurred ...

> But what is really confusing to me is that this change occurs after the
> invocation of ast_call(), which means that the manager events
> will report different information from what you see eg in the channel
> driver when it responds to the ast_call (and possibly stores the
> state from the channel itself).

This sounds like it could be a bug to me.  I would think processing this option
would come after the call to ast_request(), but before ast_call().  However, I
have a feeling that not many people use the 'o' option, so that could be why it
was never reported.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer