[asterisk-dev] VoiceMail Modularization

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Oct 30 06:08:00 MST 2006

>Sorry, to send again, but I accidently responded to a thread the first time:
>
>Is anyone already working on modularizing app_voicemail to allow for
>custom control of the voicemail navigation?  I've started to work on
>exposing more of the internal functions of app_voicemail to accomplish
>this.  I think this is one of the hard selling points for those
>replacing current legacy PBX's (or even just the voicemail part of the
>PBX's) is the inability to create a dialplan or AGI script with the
>navigation controls (i.e. 1 to play messages, 2 to send messages, etc).
>I have a PBX at one of my offices that you have to dial *d to delete a
>message.  It's absolutely absurd, but I bet all the users are so used to
>it now they wouldn't want it to change.  I don't want to duplicate
>anything that's already being done, and I'm more than happy to
>contribute it all when it's done.

This was mentioned at the developer's session at Astricon.  I think
there is a lot of interest in this concept by those who implement
Asterisk in enterprise situations, but less interest from those who
implement Asterisk in service provider or "appliance" situations.
Nobody said that they were working on such an abstraction layer to my
recollection.

That being said, I think this is a good idea.  One of the most
dangerous things to change in any existing PBX system is the
voicemail platform.  It is typically the ONLY part of the PBX that
people actually are aware of - dialing is not even considered as a
feature.   When trying to move from Vendor X to Asterisk during a
"staged" conversion, the voicemail system MUST remain consistent in
the commands and behaviors.

Voicemail can almost be re-written in the Dialplan.  However, some of
the convenient file-based tools that exist to keep index hashes are
unavailable, and it would be convenient to have some applications
that allowed this functionality to be exposed (notably: storing
messages, playing messages, keeping envelope data, moving messages,
condensing mailboxes)

So, I think there is an interest in such a set of tools, but be
careful how much you program into the concept.  I would focus on just
those features that app_voicemail provides which are not possible in
the dialplan already.  The reason app_voicemail is such a hog (IMHO)
right now is that most of what it does is already possible in the
dialplan, and it contributes only a few clever routines that should
be available outside of the monolithic implementation of voicemail.

JT