[asterisk-dev] Pthread wrapper updates

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 26 11:03:34 MST 2006

> I strongly oppose the introduction of this approach.  As I noted before,
> I can't imagine any case where aborting the application is the right thing
> to do in the case that some sort of minor error condition is detected.
The error codes from Pthread functions will not be minor if they will be
noticed.

> We should always do our best to deal with error conditions
> so that the application continues.

Can the reported return value be used to repair the program while it is
running? - I guess that the only consistent reaction will be to
immediately kill and restart it to try to circumvent an unexpected
error/bug.

How much can the internal runtime environment be trusted to be in a
consistent state? - Thread-safety will be lost if a failed lock will be
ignored in the source code. It does not help to defer the decision about
error handling to an other place. It will be too late for the rescue in
this case.
Will a core dump give useful possibilities for insights?

Regards,
Markus