[asterisk-dev] Speech Recognition

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Oct 16 14:16:03 MST 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 03:19:51PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> ----- Stephan A. Edelman <sedelman at newace.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I follow this reasoning. To use VoiceMailMain() as an
> > example, it is quite trivial to update the necessary voice prompts to
> > say "press 6 or say 'next' for next message", etc. and use a grammar
> > that equates the word 'next' with the result 6. It still means that
>
> It's not very practical, though, since it makes all the prompts
> longer. It's doable, obviously, but we didn't feel the need to enable
> this usage at the outset.

And, if I may toss an oar in the water: voice rec over telephones has a
host of its own problems, my favorite example of which was the guy who
called his airline from the terminal after getting bumped to find that
their automated system for rebooking him was voice-*only*, and he
couldn't reliably navigate it *because of all the PA announcements in
the terminal gate area, which were more numerous than usual PRECISELY
because of the dropped flight*.

So Voice Recognition Is Not My Favorite Function, personally.

Especially for menus.

Does that mean we shouldn't provide the facility?  Of course not.

But: "Programmers Strongly Cautioned"...

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_