[asterisk-dev] Speech Recognition

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Oct 16 09:58:54 MST 2006

----- Stephan A. Edelman <sedelman at newace.com> wrote:
> I would like the Speech API to behave more transparently and be
> capable of injecting responses into existing applications, such as
> WaitExten, VoiceMail, VoiceMailMain, etc.

When we first designed the Asterisk/speech interaction, we were planning on doing exactly that. However, after going through LumenVox's training and speaking to others, we realized that speech recognition apps (at least successful ones) are not really designed to just let people say 'one', 'two', 'three', etc., so we focused on letting the user build applications that directly manipulate grammars and react to the responses.

In spite of that, though, it would be fairly straightforward to create an application like SpeechDTMF() that would just sit on the channel (using the chanspy infrastructure), feed audio to the speech engine and then send DTMF frames in when the engine recognized the appropriate phrases. Patches are welcome :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer