[asterisk-dev] Speech Recognition

Adam Robins arobins at PharmaCentra.com
Mon Oct 16 05:50:07 MST 2006

The problem you describe in item 1 is still happening to me in 1.4 beta
2.  I've described it previously on the speech-rec mailing list.  Was it
fixed recently (within the past week)?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Joshua Colp
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2006 5:09 PM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Speech Recognition

Stephan A. Edelman wrote:
> Hello,
> However, I have noticed several problems with the Speech API:
>
> (1)     When loading another grammar, it still appears to be
processing
> voice frames from a previous recognition cycle. This is noticeable as
> SpeechBackground() is silent immediately when called without playing
> the sound file and even after SpeechStart() is called again. I have
> been able to correct this problem by introducing
> *ast_clear_flag(speech,
> AST_SPEECH_QUIET);* in the ast_speech_start() function of
> res/res_speech.c, as follows:

I agree with this too, fixed in 1.4 and trunk. A new 1.2 patch should be
available from Lumenvox next week as well.

> (2)     SpeechCreate() does not seem to report the correct status
> (${SPEECH(status)}) when using the Lumenvox engine and there are no
> more available licenses. This causes a subsequent call to
> SpeechActivateGrammar() to drop the call. In fact, it doesn't make
> sense to me at all to have any of the Speech...() functions return -1
> and cause the call to be hung up. This doesn't allow for any DTMF
fallback schemes.

> Can we have the Speech...() functions in apps/app_speech_utils.c set
the
> ${SPEECH(status)} variable appropriately instead? Any comments?

I just took care of this in 1.4 and trunk. Give it a whirl.

> (3)     SpeechBackground(Sound File|timeout) should treat a zero
timeout
> as meaning "timeout immediately after playing the sound file". This
> allows you to call SpeechBackground() back-to-back without any delay.
> Presently, a zero timeout means that it waits indefinitely for the
> user's voice response. If no timeout is specified as a parameter then
> it should behave with an indefinite timeout.

Ideally I would like to move this application to use the file API for
all this stuff instead of having to recreate some of the logic.

Final note:

If there's any other comments you have please do reply, I want the
speech API to evolve to the needs of both the developers and the users.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer