[asterisk-dev] bug or feature (use From: instead of Digest username to match INVITE) ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Sun Oct 15 10:59:32 MST 2006

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 08:09:09PM +0800, Dinesh Nair wrote:

> On 10/12/06 22:04 Jay R. Ashworth said the following:
> > How do you fix it here, though?
>
> as suggested in the earlier thread, one workaround was to use different
> namespaces for the SIP devices and for extensions. a suggestion was to use
> the mac addr for the SIP device, thus creating two namespaces.
>
> another, which is where i think luigi and i agree on, is to use the digest
> username for the authentication between two asterisks over a SIP trunk
> instead of the From: header.

Overall (and here some SIP expert might help me) given a chain like this:

	A --> B --> ... --> X --> asterisk

where A, B, ... X are various SIP intermediaries (with  A being the
user's phone and X is the SIP node we are talking to), i have the
following problems:

   is there anything in the INVITE message (without auth) that tells
   us, unambiguously, who X is (to be proved by authentication, of course)

   Note, by unambiguously i mean that e.g. if have multiple peers
   behing the same IP address or the same domain name i can still
   tell one from another.

Hopefully the answer is YES then problem solved (in a sense), as we just
need to pick the right info from the header and then lookup the
right entry in the user or peer lists.

(If the answer is "no" then to me it would sound as a bug in the SIP spec!)

	cheers
	luigi