[asterisk-dev] What's the best source for architectural understanding?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 4 09:33:40 MST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 07:50:56AM +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> More specifically, you can pass DTMF through a conference if the source
> and destination channels in the conference are Zap channels, and Meetme
> has not been told to listen for keypresses itself, (we have a customer
> doing so), but you can't (yet) do it when VoIP channels are involved.
>
> To reply to the original question about transferring the channels into
> the Meetme, define a dialplan extension which will enter the Meetme
> conference, and then in your app, look at using ast_async_goto() on
> the relevant channels.

This answer inspires a question I've been meaning to ask for a couple
weeks, now, since I climbed on board (however lightly):

What's teh best source for the, oh, say, 1200 foot view of the
internal architecture of *?

I had expected to find it in The Book, but it seems to spend most of
it's time split between 30000 feet and nap of earth.

There seems to be quite a bit of Magic on issues like call control
hidden inside the 'Applications' one can call from a dial plan (and
indeed, the way by which calls *get to* a dialplan in the first
place; is there a good overview of these topics which, for some
reason, I've been too stupid to locate? :-)

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_