[asterisk-dev] app_dictate and AMI

F. Mitchell Felling II mitch at fellingfamily.com
Wed Nov 29 22:52:48 MST 2006

>F. Mitchell Felling II wrote:
>>  I have a need to not only launch, but control app_dictate from the
>>  Asterisk Management Interface.  I expected this to be rather simple by
>>  using the playdtmf action.  However, it seems the DTMF is only played to
>>  the channel (extension) not to the instance of the dictation app.
>>
>>  Any thoughts on how I could get the dtmf signals sent to the instance of
>>  the app for control purposes?
>
>You can't 'launch' app_dictate from the Manager interface at all,
>although you can create a channel that is talking to it. The problem you
>are having is that you need _another_ channel that is bridged to the
>first one to send DTMF actions on.
>
>However, where is the audio going to come from if you do this?

I have modified app_dictate to accept a filename and path of an mp3
instead of raw, and to allow control to include skip forward,
backward, and skip to start.  In reality I have changed it to more
closely mimic controlPlayback, but with playback speed control.

The solution currently has us delivering the playback to an extension
on an Avaya G3R.  The Avaya extensions are controlled by Genesys CTI,
and we are sending DTMF using the Genesys functions for the Avaya.
However, this is a very crude solution, requiring the desktop control
app to include both the AMI connections and Genesys T-Server
connections.  Additionally, when a user controls the playback, they
hear the DTMF.

Ultimately I will probably build a way to control our modified
app_dictate directly without DTMF.  However, none of the immediately
obvious solutions seem attractive.

--
F. Mitchell Felling II
mitch at fellingfamily.com