[asterisk-dev] chan_sip - performance, and OPTIONS poking for 1000s of peers

Ryan Mitchell rjm at tcl.net
Mon Nov 27 11:46:07 MST 2006

>> I have one system with ~ 3400 peers registered on the box (Asterisk
>> 1.2.10),
>
> With or without realtime?
Without.

> Please check the bug tracker if you find a similar situation reported.
I don't find anything apparent with the same symptoms. I'll recompile
with DEBUG_THREADS and see if I get any useful error messages; the more
data I collect the more likely I can recognize similarity to problems
others have reported.

> For registrations and subscriptions, we do have open bug reports.
> My idea is to set a maximum limit on number of register/subscribe
> requests
> we handle at a given time and send the rest an error message with a
> retry-after header to ask them to come back later.
Yes, that sounds like a very good idea. There are a lot of malconfigured
UACs out there, not to mention the possibility of a denial-of-service
attack. I am using a patch from 1.4 to set the 'minexpiry' so I can
override any ridiculous REGISTER requests with unreasonable Expires
field, and that helps some.

--Ryan