[asterisk-dev] oh323 faststart with cisco gateways question

Di-Shi Sun di-shi at transnexus.com
Thu Nov 16 07:55:32 MST 2006

Hi All,

We met some problems using oh323 faststart with cisco gateways.

Test bed:
source cisco 3620 -> asterisk oh323 -> destination cisco 2600.
Both cisco gateways use IOS 12.3.
Only g711ulaw allowed.
asterisk configration is very simple. extensions.conf redirects all calls to the destination. default h323.conf is used.

Test steps and results:
1. The source directly pointed to the destination with faststart working fine. What means both cisco gateways support faststart and the configuration is correct.
2. The calls had long setup delay, some failed.
    From the traffic log, the destination sent fastcnnectrefused after it received the call setup message from asterisk. The setup message had faststart field.
    We found that oh323 set ulaw capability to max_ms, 150. The destination local ulaw capability is 20. After we changed oh323 to set ulaw capability to def_ms, 20, the destination gateway no longer sent fastcnnectrefused.
3. All calls completed. But faststart did not been used.
    For unknown reason, asterisk sent fastcnnectrefused to the source.

We believe faststart is important for the business. Does anybody have any experience for this problem? Maybe it is just a configuration issue. We know OpenH323 supports faststart.

Thanks,

Di-Shi Sun.