[asterisk-dev] Asterisk memory usage

Paulo Garcia paulo.astdev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 11:07:11 MST 2006

Hi,

I think it's more a linux question but making some tests running Asterisk
1.2.x with two machines connected through digium cards (using euro isdn
signalling) . The first one dials (using spool) to the second machine, that
answer, say something and hangup.

The answer machine has 128Mb and starts with 50mb of free memory (monitoring
using top utility) and after 1-2 hours the memory fall to 7mb and stay in
this level for several hours without problem. After approximately 24hours,
the free memory remains in 7mb but when I did 'show channels' I've got a
'avoided deadlock message' and asterisk cannot exit gracefully anymore.

My questions:

1 - Is it normal this memory usage? Another tests I did the memory falls in
the same factor independently of the available free memory.

2 - Do the deadlock can make relation to this memory usage? (Deadlock was a
undesired effect in my tests

3 - What 's desired memory usage in a stable production environment.

I did this tests because I have my own channel and I have similar memory
usage then I decided to use only digium hardware to compare and find if I
have some kind of memory leaks or something like that.

Thanks in advance

Paulo Garcia