[asterisk-dev] Release schedule ?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Nov 10 16:13:56 MST 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Howard White wrote:

> > I'd like Blitzrage to chime in at some point about the Asterisk regression
> > testing that was thrown around in the Code Zone at Astricon. I think this
> > will go a LONG way towards quickly finding, fixing and being SURE that
> > Asterisk meets that certain basic level of functionality between releases!
>
> This wouldn't hurt so bad if I hadn't suggested more product life cycle
> management two plus years ago.
>
> <Flamesuit = on><Earplugs = in>
>
> The reality here is folks that to have schedules, plans, delivery dates
> and releases; people have to get paid for doing the work.  If everyone
> asking for the listed items wishes to pay license fees equivalent to the
> price of Cisco Call Manager or the like...
>
> </rant>
>
> Now go back to fixing bugs like we are.

Funny. I thought that was exactly what Digium is doing. Paying developers
(Digium employees) to focus on the Bug Tracker and clean up as many bugs
for 1.4 to prep it for release. Specifically, I remember Kevin stating
that of the 80 employees Digium has right now, 38 of them are dedicated to
engineering, and at the very least I personally know (and interact on a
fairly regular basis) with about 10 of them that are working FULL TIME
right now on fixing bugs for 1.4.

That is saying something, considering that last year, they had a lot less
people, and a lot less people working specifically on the code. For the
first time in Asterisk's history, there is a development TEAM in place,
and while it certainly ain't perfect, things are DEFINITELY moving in the
right direction.

As for your fixing of bugs, I did submit a patch not to long ago that was
committed.. and this time, it wasn't a shell script, spelling correction
or documentation update... it was a bonafide C patch! :)

                             KP-216-121-ST