[asterisk-dev] Release schedule ?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Nov 10 10:05:34 MST 2006

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>     [This email is addressed to whoever decides on the release process
>     for asterisk - i am unclear if this is (as i hope) a "release
>     engineering team" as in other projects i am involved in, or it is
>     a "community decision".]

It is supposed to be more of a "release engineering team".  The way it works
right now is that Kevin gets to decide when we make a major release, such as
1.4.  Then, I have carried the title "release branch maintainer" for a couple of
years now, but what that means in practice has changed over time.

It used to be that all development (bug fixing and features) were focused on the
the development branch, and then I would go through all changes manually and
manually patch the release branch with bug fixes.  That was Asterisk 1.0.  For
1.2, putting bug fixes into the release branch has been done by the entire
development team, so my position was just to make decisions when it was
debatable about what should be put in 1.2, or whether a change was only
appropriate for the trunk.

> I would like to know what is the planned schedule for 1.4.0,
> so that developers like me could know how to focus their work within
> their available time.

For Asterisk 1.4, we attempted at setting a release schedule.  However, the
release was supposed to be many months ago.  That failed miserably.  One one
had, we had a schedule we wanted to meat, on the other hand, we had a large set
of features that we wanted to finish before Asterisk 1.4 was released.  The
decision was made to put it off until we finished the features we wanted to
include.  That has, for the most part, been done now.

> It seems that the beta period has been going on for a very long time,
> yet not having a deadline for the release makes it very hard to
> organize work.

I agree.  I think Kevin has a list of things he wants completed before 1.4.0 is
released.  Hopefully, he'll post that list to this thread.

> With the above in mind, I would suggest the following:
>
>  - settle on a very short deadline (e.g. 1-2 weeks, really no more)
>    for getting 1.4.0 out, possibly with a notice to users on the
>    "stability" of the release.
>    This would let developers find some motivation to work on critical
>    issues for getting 1.4.0 out.

I think a short timeline is a good idea.  My vote goes for creating another beta
tarball in the immediate future, and leave a final 2 weeks for making any
further fixes for 1.4.0.

>  - lift the 'no new features' ban for 1.4.1, so developers could backport
>    fixes and backward-compatible features from trunk without wasting
>    the extra time to remove the 'new features' part (something that
>    could discourage even trying to backport the fixes);

I would be happy to address these on a case by case basis, but not an overall
statement to lift the ban on new features.

>  - schedule 1.4.1 (or 1.4.2 if you like) for end of january to get
>    a more stable release in this branch.

In the past, we have generally not let much more than 6 weeks or so go without
doing another sub-release, so I think this would be a reasonable timeline.  For
the first few releases of 1.4, I would expect that we create new tarballs every
3 or 4 weeks.

In the end, when we release 1.4.0 is up to Kevin.  Hopefully he can post a list
of the goals to reach before it is released.  Then, we can set a final deadline
for getting this stuff finished.

After 1.4.0 is finally over with, I think it is worth continuing discussion
about our release process.  The way we did it this go around hasn't been so
great.  The part that hurt the most, in my opinion, is that we stuck with the
original schedule in terms of "architecture freezes" and "feature freezes", but
not in making the actual release.  That means that our development branch spent
probably half of 2006 in some degree of freeze.  That really stalled
development.  Also, I think this painfully drawn out process has hurt morale in
the development community a bit, as well.  Asterisk is my only experience in a
large open source project.  I would be interested in learning about the
processes used within other projects to see how we can improve the way we do
things for the next development cycle.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer