[asterisk-dev] TLS/SSL futures

Thu Nov 9 06:38:51 MST 2006

Michiel van Baak wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2006, at 10:21 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>
>>> iksemel is third party software that uses whatever its authors
>>> decided to use, and i don't think anyone has the interest of rewriting
>>> it to use openssl.
>>
>> Actually, that's not correct. Due to various other issues, Matt O'Gorman
>> has been working on exactly that, and will soon have a branch of iksemel
>> available that uses OpenSSL instead of GnuTLS.
>
> Great.
> I think it's a good idea to use OpenSSL for all the SSL things because
> it's the most portable SSL thing I've seen.
> It's there by default on my osx, openbsd and debian installs.
> I hope Matt will have something to test soon.

Debian and openssl is not that easy. E.g. the openser shipped with
debian has TLS disabled as it uses openssl and there are some conflicts
with the GPL if openser is shipped as part of the Linux distribution.

It's somehow crazy - it is legal to offer debian packages for an TLS
enabled openser, but it is illegal to include these packages to debian
itself.

Thus, I suspect Asterisk may have the same problems.

regards
klaus

--
Klaus Darilion