[asterisk-dev] SIP Multiple endpoints with same id

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Thu Nov 9 02:03:18 MST 2006

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 10:09:28AM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:28:55PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:29:24PM +0300, Volkov Alexei wrote:
> > > That is I actually means when first posting this thread, thanks Luigi
> > > describing it from another point of view.
> >
> > there is an even simpler explaination.
> >
> > on a traditional phone line you can connect phones in parallel, and
> > they all ring together, as long as you stay within the allowed
> > Ringer Equivalence Number.
> >
> > One would expects to be able to do the same with VoIP,
> > even if the wires are virtual.
>
> But the two things you described are not equivalent. Shifting locations
> and having several locations are two different things.

in the simpler explaination i never spoke of "shifting locations".

speaking as a user:
i have a traditional phone line and can connect phones "in parallel".
if i switch to SIP phones, i want to be able to do the same thing,
othersise i am losing features.
it is irrelevant that the two phones are in different locations
or in the same room or on the same desk.

cheers
luigi