[asterisk-dev] Music on hold deafens in 1.4b3

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Fri Nov 3 10:44:29 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:44 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> John Lange wrote:
> > This is using the default asterisk music files (calm river etc.). Were
> > they re-sampled or repackaged in 1.4 which would make them much louder?
>
> If you had looked at them, you would see that they are completely
> difference. In 1.2, they were mp3 files, played using mpg123. In 1.4,
> they are native format files played directly.

Apologies. I admit I didn't look.

> However, during the packaging process I _do_ lower their volume using
> sox... if it's not far enough, I can certainly modify the tarball
> building process.

I've found I need to do:

sox file.wav -v 0.2 filequiet.wav

to bring them down to a better level but that is just my users opinion.
I'm not sure what others think.

BTW, I've also noticed that random=yes does not work. It plays the first
file everytime.

[default]
mode=files
directory=/var/lib/asterisk/moh