[asterisk-dev] Need your help to use TDM(Hardware) in Asterisk

Bob bob_co at cox.net
Wed Nov 1 20:07:07 MST 2006

Asterisk hardware from several vendors have time slot interchange and
conferencing bridge capability, however I haven't seen the functions
implemented on a per-call basis. A time slot interchange exchanges TDM
slots to connect one channel to another, while the conference bridge
uses hardware codecs and sums the audio channels together.

I too, have wondered if Asterisk has the facilities to bring in a
channel to monitor call progress, DTMF, etc. and control an external
piece of hardware that makes the actual connection. If someone had 24
analog extensions from a cannel bank, and a quad or dual T1 card, the
hardware is fully capable of connecting one analog line to the other
through the switch on the T1 card; however, I have never seen any code
in Zaptel or Asterisk to facilitate this.

A further extension of this concept would be the trombone connection,
where zap channels would be created for the sole purpose of using the
hardware switch instead of Asterisk. This appears to be the purpose of
the TC400, but I haven't seen the software mechanism for doing this yet.