[asterisk-dev] Voicemail redisign

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Wed Nov 1 09:40:04 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 09:54 -0600, Matt O'Gorman wrote:

> etc etc
> obviously not everyone will want to change to this new way of doing voicemail menus as it will tend to be pages of dialplan, probably a good bit shorter in ael.  But I think we could give out a good set of defaults and people could do tweaks here and there.  As well as making it easier for people to develop more storage methods for asterisk voicemail and making the world a generally better place.

Personally I like the idea of overhauling the voicemail system and
developing a way of making it easy to customize.

Voicemail hasn't changed much in a long while and I think its showing
its age.

For example the main menu, "Press 3 for advanced Options" takes you to a
menu with a single entry "Press 5 to leave a message" which makes it
seem like pressing 3 didn't do anything.

Press "*" for help just repeats the same menu.

And users consistently assume 3 is what they need to press to change
their OGM and because the only option is "Press 5", they complain that
when they press "3" nothing happens.

After leaving a message "hangup or press the pound key". Callers assume
pressing the pound key will take them to some further options. In fact
it just hangs up on them.

Also a missing features is the ability for users to customize where a
call gets sent if someone presses "0". On Avaya systems this is known as
a "Personal Operator" setting.

----

Anyhow, to answer the orginal poster's question; yes I think it would be
great if all the logic for voicemail was in dailplan logic with just
some helper applications to actually deliver voicemail or whatever is
required.

This would allow us to more easily expand and improve the voicemail
system.

John