[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-users] Queues: roundrobin w/ reset ("circular call distribution")

lists.digium.com at tgice.com lists.digium.com at tgice.com
Wed Nov 1 08:24:18 MST 2006

Hi guys,

I'm reposting this from asterisk-users a few days back.  Pardon for
those of you who've already seen it, but I probably should've posted it
here first anyway (since I've gotten no responses on asterisk-users):

It looks like this issue has been raised before, but I see it mostly
ignored and no answers given, so here it is again:

For the past couple of years, I've wanted a queue that works very
similarly to roundrobin/rrmemory, but that doesn't remember anything
about where the last ring went to.  This new strategy would always start
at the first member (as defined in queues.conf) when a new call came in.

I actually coded up a simple version of this (that I've been using for a
couple of years) which I called "roundrobinreset".  The only problem is
I coded that for 0.9.0 and am now moving to 1.2.13 and would like to not
have to port that code every time I move versions.  I'd be willing to
port it one more time to this version if there's a chance of it getting
integrated into the official releases.

Alternatively, am I missing some method through the current features
where I could accomplish this?  There are references to being able to
implement "circular call distribution" (which is the unofficial name for
what I'm talking about, I think) here:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+config+queues.conf

and in mailing list posts, but I've tried that using the "penalty"
approach and it doesn't seem to work.  As other users have noted, the
call just hangs on the lowest penalty member and never moves off of it.

Does anyone have *that* working (again, I'm using 1.2.13 -- maybe this
does work on the 1.4.x branch)?

So what's up w/ this?  What approach should I follow?  Adding another
queue strategy?

Thanks,

John Lawler