[asterisk-dev] Hi-Res timers support in ztdummy

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu May 25 15:36:50 MST 2006

Is anyone looking into the hires timer support added in Linux kernel
2.6.16?

We've been using RTC enabled ztdummy modules for our conferencing
servers, and in general it is working pretty well.  I've tried the
various ztdummy enhancements on Mantis, and also in general they
work pretty well.

Reading up on the new high resolution timers, it would appear that
ztdummy could have a timer fire every micro second with a callback
to a function that performs the zt_receive/zt_transmit and sets the
timer to expire 1 microsecond in the future.

I'm not sure that the high res timers alone will be able to address
the accuracy needs of Asterisk, but perhaps when coupled with the
RT patchset it would be both reliable and accurate.

Dan