[asterisk-dev] Implementing Paging on the Linksys SPA9XX phones

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu May 25 05:44:49 MST 2006

John Lange wrote:

> Given your above statement about channel drivers, would it not make
> sense to implement RTP broadcast paging as a new channel driver?
> chan_broadcast or chan_page perhaps? I'm thinking chan_sip could be used
> as a starting point.

No, because the devices will still need all the same signaling (SIP,
MGCP, H.323) that they would otherwise need, in addition to the
multicast RTP. That means they need all the peer/user config
information, passwords, allowed codecs, etc.

Certainly it would be possible for the RTP core to expose 'multicast'
streams and make them available to chan_sip, but the first (big) step is
making Asterisk and the generic bridging code even aware of things like
unidirectional audio streams being part of a bridge, since right now
there is no concept of that at all.